Valdinievole and Lucca tour with Funicular Ride in Montecatini Alto
(Private Tour From: Florence, Pisa)
Visit with our expert local drivers: Lucca, Montecatini Alto and the Nievole Valley. If you are an art, wine & food lovers, this is the right experience for you.
- Visiting Lucca means discovering the birthplace of the composer Giacomo Puccini (with a dedicated museum), travelling through the signs of time, through history and art, from the Roman period to the Middle Ages. Lucca is a wonderful jewel within its ancient walls and its famous Piazza Ovale. The ancient Anfiteatro from Roman period, is today only preserved in its basic structure. Houses were later built around the famous “Oval square” (Piazza Ovale) of the old arena. For sure this one of the most picturesque and more photographed squares in Italy. The Cathedral of Lucca is one of the most important churches in Tuscany. You can visit the interior and walk on the top of the tower. You can also visit the Guinigi Tower, where on top you’ll find a garden with oaks trees.
- Later we will drive to Montecatini to take the ancient Italian funicular (date 1848) that will arrive, through a breathtaking landscape, to the medieval village of Montecatini Alto. Here you can visit the ancient fortress and have lunch in the typical restaurants of the small central square.
- In the afternoon we will drive accross the tuscan country to visit a typical Tuscan farmhouse winery (farm where we will have a wine tasting) and where you will taste the best wines of our Region, with cold cuts, bruschettas and “extra vergine” olive oil.
(Important note: the Funicular opens a week before Easter and closes on October 31st)
- Pick up at your Hotel or private flat and B&B with confortable Mercedes Minivan or similar. Welcome sign PEK TUSCANY IN LIMO + your name.
- English speaking driver – escort.
IMPORTANT: We can also pick up and drop off customers at private addresses, apartments or B & B, without extra charge. It is only necessary to indicate the correct address in the notes.
What To Expect: Itinerary
Stop At: Lucca
Our english speaking driver – escort will pick you up at your location (hotel or apartment) around 9.00 AM. Then we will drive to Lucca.
- Visiting Lucca means discovering the birthplace of the composer Giacomo Puccini, travelling through the signs of time, through history and art, from the Roman period to the Middle Ages, from the Renaissance to the nineteenth century and modern times. Lucca is magical in all seasons, with its famous Walls, crowned with trees and the pedestrian areas in the inner side of the city, it’s the perfect place for a walk or a bike ride. The most intersting things to visit are the famous Piazza Ovale, the Cathedral and the “Guinigi Tower” (the tower with a garden on the roof).
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Montecatini Funicolar
After Lucca we will move to the funicular of Montecatini.
- There is a magical historic railway line which takes you to the high village of the city on a little red train from bygone days, and this makes the whole experience truly unique. The trains meet at the halfway point and greet each other as though they are kissing, in the middle of the green hill, where it overlooks an evocative view of the whole of the Valdinievole, your gaze stretching infinitely over the land.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Montecatini Alto
The funicular arrives and stops in the village of Monteatini Alto.
- Montecatini Alto is the original Montecatini settlement, lying a few hundred metres above the ‘new’ town. Montecatini alto (high) is a characteristic medieval village, abounding in historical events culture and illustrious personages, is one of the most ancient inhabited centrs in the Valdinievole. From the village of Montecatini Alto, you can see the Nievole valley up to the city of Lucca, with a suggestive panorama.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vinci
- In the afternoon we will move through the countryside up the village of Vinci (the home town of the genius Leonardo) for a special tasting of wines, extra virgin olive oil and bruschettas with new oil, tomatos, tuscan ham and salami. We will also visit the life of a typical tuscan farm. On request it is possible to visit the Leonardo museum.
At the end of the visit we will return to your location.
Duration: 1 hour
Inform us about any food allergies or intollerances you might have in advance during your booking procedure.