Tuscan Legends Tour: "The Sword in the rock" & the "Black Rooster of Chianti"
(Private Tour From: Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Arezzo)
A daytrip among legends and rolling hills, through the medieval landscape of Chianti. We will guide you through avenues of cypresses, sunflowers, vineyards and medieval villages, between legend and truth, tasting the best wines of our region. Discover the incredible story of Galgano Guidotti, become a saint, and the Black Rooster, symbol of Chianti.
- In the morning we’ll visit the beautiful Abbey of San Galgano.
- This suggestive Abbey is completely roofless and very scenographic. Later we’ll move to the Eremo of Montesiepi, a very original building with a circular plan, rich in symbolic elements, which jealously guards the famous “Sword in the Stone” and its mystery.
Probably the legend of Galgano Guidotti inspired the story of King Arthur and Excalibur, but … maybe is not just a legend.
- For Lunch we’ll transfer in a real tuscan farm and we’ll discover the legend of the “Black Rooster” symbol of Chianti.
- We’ll feast in the winery, with a typical tuscan lunch and 8 wine tastings.
In the afternoon we’ll move to San Gimignano for a visit of the medieval village. This town is known for its fine towers, and it will be possible climb the Rognosa Tower (the highest of all the towers) to see an unforgettable panorama and listen the legend of the “Devil’s Tower“.
This is the secret Tuscany we love, for more info take a look “What to expect”.
- Pick up at your Hotel or private flat and B&B with confortable Mercedes Minivan or similar.
- Welcome sign PEK TUSCANY IN LIMO + your name.
- English speaking driver – guide.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We can also pick up and drop off customers at private addresses, apartments or B & B, without extra charge. It is only necessary to indicate the correct address in the notes.
What To Expect:
Stop At: Abbazia di San Galgano
Our driver escort will pick you up at your location (hotel, B&B or private apartment) and take you on a drive through the sweet hills of Tuscany.
First stop: The Abbey of Saint Galgano.
- The Abbey was founded in the valley of the river Merse between the towns of Chiusdino & Monticiano. Today the Abbey is without roof, and has an incredible charm.
- Nearby the Abbey we find the Eremo of Montesiepi, we suppose the tomb of San Galgano, where we find a sword that legend says, was put into a stone by Galgano. The legend of San Galgano is a legend not so legend…: The mystery about this place is connected to the history of a warrior turned into a Saint: Galgano Guidotti, who lived in this place during the 12th century. He was a proud knight and got involved in many battles. At a certain point of his life, he realized that was tired of the violence that was covering the world and decided for a religious life in search of redemption. He had a vision, he became a hermit and retreated on the top of the Montesiepi hill, choosing to serve God. So he took his sword and put it into a rock to become a cross before which he could pray. An analysis of the metal done in 2001 confirmed that the “composition of the metal and the style are compatible with the era of the legend”.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Tenuta Torciano
For lunch we will move to a typical tuscan farm.
This farm promotes the Italian wine & food culture all over the world. A beautiful Italian experience to learn the best combinations beetween wine & food, the glass etiquette, the secrets of Italian cuisine, Tuscan wine-making techniques and more.
3 courses lunch, with homemade pasta, Lasagna, Bruschettas, cold cuts, Pecorino cheese, prosciutto, salame.
- Wine tastings with: Chianti, Chianti Riserva, Brunello di Montalcino, Sangiovese, Nobile di Montepulciano, Vernaccia and Super Tuscan.
- Tasting Extra Vergine Olive Oil
- Tasting Pepper Olive Oil
- Tasting Balsamic Vinegar
- Tasting Truffle Oilive Oil.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Chianti Road
After lunch, we will cross one of the most famous “Chianti Wine Roads”.
- The symbol of the Chianti is a Black Rooster and this is the legend about the end of a long war between Florence and Siena. One day, during a long war, the 2 cities decided to enter into a peace agreement, they would redefine their borders using 2 knights: one departing from Florence and the other from Siena. Both knights would leave the city centre at sunrise, when the first rooster crowed, and the official border would be set at the point where the knights met. The Sienese chose a white rooster, Florentines chose a black rooster. But he Florentine took the black rooster and locked it in a darkened room, without food for many days. On the big day, as soon as the hungry black rooster was set free, in the middle of the night it crowed! So, the Florentine knight was able to ride much further than the knight from Siena. He got as far as 12 km from Siena. So this explains why the border between Siena & Florence isn’t in the middle of the two cities.
Stop At: San Gimignano
Last stop at San Gimignano: the visit of the town and its magnificent towers will take about an hour.
- San Gimignano is a small walled medieval hill town not far from Siena. Known as the “Town of Fine Towers”. During the Middle Ages there were more than 70 towers in the city. Now it is a real open-air museum, where it seems to walk in the medieval period. The town also is known for saffron, the Golden Ham, and its white wine: “Vernaccia” di San Gimignano, produced from the ancient variety of Vernaccia grape which is grown on the sandstone hillsides of the area. In the main square don’t forget to taste the best ‘ice cream in the world (Gelateria Dondoli), and in the streets of the village you can admire the extraordinary work of expert craftsmen.
- Tower of the Devil legend in San Gimignano: Legend has it that when the rich owner returned from a long journey, he realized that the tower had grown several meters in height, yet nobody could give him a plausible explanation. Not finding anyone responsible, he gave the blame, or rather the merit, to the devil.
- At the end of the visit in San Gimignano, we will return to your location.
Duration: about 1 hour
Inform us about any food allergies or intollerances you might have in advance during your booking procedure.